At Lyng Primary School we are committed to supporting the emotional health and wellbeing of our staff, children and families.
By spotting the signs of ill health early, we can cultivate and grow hope for recovery. Especially when early intervention is important by listening without judgement, we can grow the hope that someone who may be struggling with difficult experiences can feel accepted and understood.
We take the view that positive mental health is everyone’s responsibility and that we all have a role to play.
At our school we:
- help children to understand their emotions and feelings better
- help children feel comfortable sharing any concerns or worries
- help children socially to form and maintain relationships.
- promote self esteem and ensure children know that they count.
- encourage children to be confident and 'dare to be different'
- help children to develop emotional resilience and to manage setbacks.
We promote a mentally healthy environment through:
- Promoting our school values and encouraging a sense of belonging.
- Promoting pupil voice and opportunities to participate in decision-making
- Celebrating academic and non-academic achievements
- Providing opportunities to develop a sense of worth through taking responsibility for themselves and others
- Providing opportunities to reflect.
- Access to appropriate support that meets their needs
We pursue our aims through:
- Universal, whole school approaches
- Support for pupils going through recent difficulties including bereavement.
- Specialised, targeted approaches aimed at pupils with more complex or long term difficulties including attachment disorder.
Mrs L Deeley – SENCO/ DDSL/ LAC and SMHL
Mrs Wellings – DSL/SMHL/Attendance Lead
Mr Boughey – SEMH Lead/Learning Mentor
Websites for support